A photographic recollection of a trip to Biddulph Grange in 2011.
The 19th Century garden was created by James and Maria Bateman for an extensive plant collection from around the world. The house burned down in 1896 and the replacement was converted to a hospital in 1923. From then on the gardens slowly disappeared through a combination of building works and neglect. The National Trust took over the site in 1988 and set about restoring the fifteen acres of themed gardens to what we see today.
Biddulph Grange is a few miles south east of Congleton. The house isn’t open to the public, but there is the usual gift shop, tea rooms and a permanent exhibition of fossils and other geological features found during restoration.
(All images and the map open in a new window.)
Looking across the Italianate gardens from outside the house.
The house seen across the topiary of the Italianate Gardens.
At the bottom of the Italianate Gardens the paths take you round the lake.
The garden has several follies and buildings, all built in different styles from this charming vernacular to Roman and Egyptian.
Hedge buttresses flank the Dahlia Walk, seen from the Roman villa. It’s hard to believe that this part of the garden was once buried under tons of earth.
The path moves through dense vegetation occasionally revealing fragments of ancient buildings and structures.
Perhaps the most well known part of the gardens at Biddulph. The pavilion across the Chinese pool.
Close to the Chinese garden, this section is constructed in an Egyptian style.
The first view from the pavilion across the pool.
Another view with the detail of the restored pavilion.
The garden, at fifteen acres, isn’t large compared to Tatton Park, for example, but its borrowed aspect of surrounding trees and woodland makes it feel much larger than it actually is.
Looking back towards the Roman Villa.
A wooded path leading from the site perimeter to the house.
For opening times visit the National Trust information page here.